I went to the backyard this morning, and it was a real treat to see what I thought was enough to make a batch of green salsa with veggies exclusively from my garden. The serrano plants were heavy with peppers, and I spotted a bunch of papery lanterns on the tomatillo vines:
I picked close to two dozen serranos, but realized that most of the tomatillos were still pea-sized, inside their deceivingly large husks. To make things worse, I went to check the cilantro; I could not believe that the seedling I had spotted weeks ago (photo below, left) had hardly grown (right.) On the positive side, by this time of year cilantro has usually bolted, so I counted my blessings and picked the tiny sprig:
At this point, it had become clear that I did not have enough for a batch of salsa. I noticed a pretty purple blossom on one of the Black Hungarian plants, and remembered that they already had a few peppers growing (photo, below). It is the first year I am cultivating this variety, and I was just letting them get darker – because of their name – but I think I waited too long because they looked somewhat wrinkled already, so I harvested them:
The tomatoes were at different ripening stages; I got a fair amount of the cherry sized ones, but only one small Amish paste. The large Brandywines still needed a few days, as can be seen in the photo below*:
Back in the kitchen, I chose two of the serrano peppers, and arranged them on the counter with the rest of my harvest, along with a few of my onions and garlic (photo at the top of the post). I was assessing if I would still be able to make a batch of salsa, although obviously not green. One of the nicest things about salsa, is that all the ingredients are pretty much fungible, so I concluded I could go ahead, with some adjustments: the variety of tomatoes could supplement the tomatillos; I had two kinds of hot peppers; and the small amount of cilantro would be compensated with a generous portion of onion and garlic. I will share the recipe and results in my next post.